Department of Physiology and Molecular Biology
Ongoing Research Program
- Association of Vitamin D Receptor Gene polymorphisms in the pathogenesis of type 2 Diabetes in Bangladeshi Population
- SPINK1, TNFa and Trypsinogen gene polymorphisms in the Healthy Bangladeshi population
- Angiotensin 1 converting enzyme (ACE) gene polymorphism in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Co-supervised one MPhil thesis work entitled ‘Serum levels of high sensitive C-reactive protein and its association with lipidemic status in Bangladeshi healthy subjects’ with Professor Liaquat Ali as Supervisor.
Other ongoing research project involved
- Study of Normal Level of Lipids (TG, TC, LDL, HDL) In Healthy Adult Population of Dhaka City.
This project is funded by Ibrahim Medical College; PI of the project Professor Fatima Khanam, Dept of Physiology, Ibrahim Medical College
- Co-supervisor in two MPhil thesis works entitled (i) Role of insulin resistance in the pathogenesis of essential hypertension; and (ii) Assessment of mean platelet volume in the obese Bangladeshi subjects with Prof Qazi Shamima Akhter, Dept of Physiology, Dhaka Medical College as Supervisor.
- ‘GIFTS2: Mother and Child Health Study’ a joint research project between BADAS and University of Oslo funded by European Union (FP7)
- Rahman MM, Hassan Z, Biswas KB, Bhowmik NB, Ali L. Plasma total homocysteine is not associated with peripheral neuropathy in a groups Bangladeshi type 2 diabetic subjects. Ban J Med Sci 2012; 11: 335-342.
- Choudhury S and Hassan Z. Trans Fat: Friend turned in to foe. J Asiat Soc Bangladesh Sci 2011; 37: 99-112.
Manuscript in press
- Begum M, Khan I, Hassan Z, Ali L. Lack of association of Human Papiloma Virus gene polymorphisms in the pathogenesis of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Bangladeshi Subjects (ICDDRB Bull)
- Bhowmik B, Khatun T, Hassan Z, Azad Khan AK, Hussain A. Anthropomentric indices of obesity and type 2 diabetes in Bangladeshi population- Chandra Rural diabetic study (CRDS) (Diab Res Clin Pract)
Attendance in Scientific Meeting and Deliberation(s):
- Choudhury S and Zahid Hassan. ‘Trans Fat: Friend or Foe!’ Invited lecture in the Seminar on Suitable Edible Oil in Bangladesh Organized by Nutrition and Food Engineering Department, Daffodil University, Dhaka on 19 May 2012.
- Hassan Z. Pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus. ANRAP National Seminar, 20 November 2012, BIHS Auditorium, BIHS, Dhaka.
- Conducted a ‘Glucometer evaluation program’ as a Convener. The committee was assigned by the BIRDEM authority.
- Coordinated laboratory analyses of the research project ‘GIFTS2: Mother and Child Health Study’ a joint research project between BADAS and University of Oslo.