Dept of Pharmacology
A. Major Research Projects
- Plant materials as a source of drugs
- Effect of Metformin and Atorvastin combination vs Metformin alone on inflammatory biomarkers and insulin resistance is patients with type diabetes.
- Determination of efficacy and safety of some antidiabetic herbal preparations available in Bangladesh on rat models.
B.Students (in Collaboration) in the FY 2011-2012
Tania Sultana, MS student , Jahangirnagar University
Utpol Mondal MS, MS student, Dept of Pharmacy, Dhaka University
Masuma Parvin, PhD student (completed), Dept of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Dhaka University
Pankoj Kumar Sarkar (On going). PhD student, Dept of Agricultural Chemistry, Hajee Md Danesh Science and Technology University
Name of programme
No of participants
The 2nd ANRAP Workshop on ‘Chemical Studies and Bioassay of Antidiabetic Plant Materials’ was held in BMRG, BIRDEM from July 23-28, 2011.
D. Professional Membership obtained: (with name of person and awarded membership) award/ Sponsorship/ Grant/Fellowship in the FY 2011-2012:
Awarded a research grant from Bangladesh Medical & Research Council (BMRC) for the project entitled ‘Effect of Metformin and Atorvastin combination vs Metformin alone on inflammatory biomarkers and insulin resistance is patients with type diabetes’
E. Participation in Meeting/ Seminar/ CME/Workshop
- National Seminar on ‘Bioprospecting of Medicinal Plants in the Sundarbans’, which was held on 04th August, 2011, organized by Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Discipline, University of Khulna.
- Seminar on ‘Benefits of insurance medicine in developing and in transition economies’ on 20 October 2011 held in BIHS Auditorium, Mirpur, Dhaka.
- 43rd Training Program of NITUB, which was held on 26 Nov to 01 Dec 2011, organized by Network of Instrument Technical personnel and User scientists of Bangladesh (NITUB).
- 17th Diabetes and Endocrine Conference held in the Bangladesh University of Health Sciences Hospital (BIHS), Mirpur, Dhaka from 13-15 December 2011.
- 334th Annual Conference of Bangladesh Chemical Society, which was held on 19-20 Dec 2011, organized by Dept of Chemistry & Dept of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University of Dhaka.
- 2nd Public Health Seminar organized by BIHS in collaboration with the Dept of International Community Health, University of Oslo, Norway, 11-12 December 2011 at the BIHS and National Advocacy Programme, which was held on 27th Dec, 2011, organized by Health & Disease Center for Rural People (HDRCRP).
- Seminar on ‘Organic Pollutants in Food, Agricultural Products and Environment’ which was held on 17-18 January, 2012, organized by Pollutant Research Group (BAN:04), Dept of Chemistry, University of Dhaka and also attended the meeting for launching of ‘Asian Network of Research on Food and Environment Contaminants (ANFEC)’ on 16 January 2012 in Conference Room, University of Dhaka.
- Workshop on ‘Medical Biotechnology’ on 6-7 June and 26-27 June, 2012, which was organized by the Center for Medical Biotechnology.
- 4th Scientific Seminar & Annual General Meeting held on 22nd June, 2012. The seminar was organized by the Bangladesh Pharmacological Society.
- Siddique R, Hafiz MG, Rokeya B, and Jamal CY and Islam A: Ondansetron versus granisetron in the prevention of chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting in children with acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.: Mymensing Med J. 2011; 20 (4):.680-688.
- M A Morshed,, J Alam, M Das, A Haque, L Ali, and B Rokeya: Antidiabetic and anti- inflammatory effect of Urtica dioica leaves on STZ induced type 1 diabetic rats. IJPSR, 2011; 2(5): 1182-1187.
- M A Morshed, N fayzunnessa, M A Haque, A uddin, A Bhoumik, L Ali, and B Rokeya: Comparative study of Azadirachta indica Leaf Powder and its Different Extracts on Glycemic, Insulinemic and Lipidmic status of Type 2 Diabetic Model Rats, IJPSR, 2011; 2(4): 954-960.
- Rahman MM, Haque SS, Rokeya B, Siddique MA, Banerjee SK, Ahsan SA, Rahman F, Mahmood M, Ahmed K, Bhuiyan MM, Joarder AI, Debnath RC: Trimetazidine in the prevention of contrast induced nephropathy after coronary angiogram. Mymensingh Med J: 2012 Apr; 21 (2): 292-299.
E. Visiting Scientists/ Fellows from abroad
- M Mohiuddin, Begum Rokeya, Md Abdullah Al–Shoeb, Yearul Kabir: Amount of sodium benzoate in non-alcoholic carbonated beverages: its effect on liver and kidney function and DNA damage in rats. Seminar on organic pollutants in food, agricultural products and environment held in Nabab Nawab Ali Chowdhury Senate Bhaban, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh on 17-18 January 2012.