Distance Learning Project
The course was designed in collaboration with two experts from the Open University of UK, Prof Janet Grant, Director of Medical Education and Prof Mike Stewart, Prof of Neuroscience. A workshop of Training of Tutors (TOT) was arranged. The curriculum was subsequently developed with the contributions of diabetologists and endocrinologists from BADAS. The certificate course was inaugurated in June 2003 and was formally started with a pilot batch of 50 physicians. In this program there is individual study of specially prepared learning materials (printed). The procedure uses integrated learning resources, learning experiences, feedback on learning and student support service. In addition to the classes of Regional Tutorial Centers (RTC), there are clinical classes and workshop.
There are two sessions each year- January to June and July to December.
Characteristics of the course are:
- Specially designed integrated materials to ensure active learning
- Learning from student-to-student and tutor-to-student
- Appropriate workload and time scale
- Feedback on learning
- Quality assurance
a. Printed learning materials are provided to each student in modular form. These consist of:
- Text book on diabetes mellitus comprising of 10 chapters
- Two interactive modules covering the whole text- one for home-based activities, another for RTC-based activities.
- In-text activities and end-module tutor marked tasks
- Patient related practical projects
- Clinical examinations and hands-on training
- Centrally provided record sheets for hospital activity twice or thrice per session
Regional Tutorial Center (RTC)
RTCs are for intensive interactive tutorials. RTCs are located as nearest to the students as possible. RTCs have access to local medical colleges/institutes or diabetes care centers so that clinical and practical sessions can be arranged easily. Students’ attendance is strictly maintained at RTCs. 19th Batch of DLP started it’s journey from January 2014 with 39 RTCs including Dhaka (total 28) Chittagong (total 3) Sylhet (total 2) and Rangpur, Rajshahi, Khulna Mymensingh and Faridpur one RTC each. More than 6860 doctors completed and received certificate under DLP. Total no of tutors are 58, including 6 coordinators.
For more information click www.badas-dlp.org