Biomedical Research Group (BMRG)
Major Research Projects
- Plant materials as a source of drugs
- Etiopathogenesis of diabetes and its complications in Bangladeshi population
- Nutritional evaluation of food materials
- Bioequivalence of local insulin
- Diabetes Prevention and Intervention Study (DPIS)
- Mother & Child Heath Project (MCH)
- Conferences/ Seminars/Workshops
- Prof Liaquat Ali attended the 46th EASD (European Association for the study of Diabetes) meeting, on September 12–17, 2011 in, Berlin, Germany.
- Under the WDF-131 project BMRG organized a series Seminar on ‘Evidence based nutritional knowledge in the Prevention of metabolic syndrome: the Bangladesh context’ in Comilla, Sirajgonj & Savar during July 27 to 30, 2011. The Principals and Vice-Principals of the respective medical colleges were the Chief Guests and Special Guests respectively.
- The program included the following presentations:
- Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome: The Bangladesh context; (by Dr Rahelee Zinnat).
- Selection of appropriate Carbohydrates for the management and prevention of metabolic syndrome; (by Ms Kaniz Fatema).
- Knowledge, Attitude and Practice among Bangladeshi population;( by Ms Farzana Saleh).
Metabolic Syndrome and Fish oil; (by Ms Masfida Akhter)
World Diabetes Congress (WDC), Dubai, 04-08 December, 2011
- Prof Liaquat Ali attended the ‘World Diabetes Congress’ (organized by the International Diabetes Federation, IDF) and he also chaired a Session in the Conference.
- Prof Begum Rokeya presented a poster entitled ‘Alternative medicine in animals of type 2 diabetes’ in WDC.
- Dr Sabrina Murshed presented a poster entitled ‘Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 activity increasing effect of aqueous extract of Swietenia mahagony seed on type 2 diabetic model rats’ in WDC.
- Dr Md Zahid Hassan presented a poster entitled ‘Evaluation of pancreatic B cell functional status on the basis of autoantibody positivity in young onset diabetic patients’ in WDC.
- Dr Omar Faruque presented a poster entitled ‘Association of serum TNF-a and IL-6 with insulin secretion and insulin resistance in type 2 diabetic subjects’ in WDC.
- Dr Rahelee Zinnat presented a poster entitled ‘Serum proinsulin and glucagons in Bangladeshi type 2 diabetic subjects’ in WDC.
17th Diabetes & Endocrine Conference
BMRG played a vital role in organizing the 17th Diabetes and Endocrine Conference held in the Bangladesh Institute of Health Sciences Hospital (BIHS), Mirpur, Dhaka from 13-15 December 2011 organized jointly by the Bangladesh Endocrine Society and Diabetic Association of Bangladesh. In addition to the Conference there were 6 symposium: a) Novo Nordisk Symposium on ‘Novo Nordisk Diabetes Update; b) Sanofi Symposium on ‘Key Issues & Advances in the Management of Diabetes and its Complications’; c) Incepta Symposium on ‘Prevention of Diabetic Complications’; d) UniMed Symposium on ‘Management of Hypertension in Patients with Diabetic Nephropathy’; e) Lilly Symposium on ‘The Art and Science of Diabetes Management: from Evidence to Practice’; f) Bio-Trade International Symposium: ‘Role of HbA1c in the Management of Diabetes’. Approximately 1500 participants registered for the conference and the symposium. Fourteen (14) foreign participants from Norway, UK, USA, Australia, Pakistan, Nepal and India joined the Conference. The 16th Ibrahim Memorial Oration was delivered by Prof Akhtar Hussain, Dept of International Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Norway.
- Prof Begum Rokeya, Dept of Pharmacology Chaired the Oral Session-IV.
- Invited Lecture by Dr Md Zahid Hassan, Dept of Physiology and Molecular Biology on ‘Genetics of diabetes in South East Asian population’.
- Invited Lecture by Dr Rahelee Zinnat, Dept of Biochemistry and Cell Biologyon ‘Monitoring of glycemic status: past, present and future’ in the Bio-Trade Symposium.
- Invited Lecture by Dr Omar Faruque, Dept of Biochemistry and Cell Biologyon ‘Option in the monitoring of glycemic status: an update’ in the Bio-Trade Symposium.
- On special invitation Prof Liaquat Ali delivered a lecture on ‘Insulin Resistance in Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy’ in the National Heart Foundation Conference which was held on 1-2 December 2011, Agargao, Dhaka.
- Prof Begum Rokeya delivered a lecture on ‘Natural products as new treatment strategies for type 2 diabetes’ in the 34th Annual Conference of Bangladesh Chemical Society, which was held on 19-20 Dec 2011, organized by Dept of Chemistry & Dept of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University of Dhaka.
- Prof Rokeya took part as a discussant on ‘National Advocacy Programme, which was held on 27th Dec, 2011, organized by Health & Disease Center for Rural People (HDRCRP).
- Prof Begum Rokeya, Dr Md Zahid Hassan, Dr Omar Faruque and Dr Rahelee Zinnat attended in the 2nd Public Health Seminar organized by BIHS in collaboration with the Dept of International Community Health, University of Oslo, Norway, 11-12 December 2011 at the BIHS. She also the 17th Diabetes and Endocrine Conference held in the Bangladesh Institute of Health Sciences Hospital (BIHS), Mirpur, Dhaka from 13-15 December 2011.
- Prof Begum Rokeya attended a seminar on ‘Organic Pollutants in Food, Agricultural Products and Environment’ which was held on 17-18 January, 2012, organized by Pollutant Research Group (BAN:04), Dept of Chemistry, University of Dhaka.
- Prof Rokeya attended the meeting for launching of ‘Asian Network of Research on Food and Environment Contaminants (ANFEC)’ on 16 January 2012 in Conference Room, CARS, University of Dhaka.
- Dr Zahid attended a seminar on ‘Exploring True Relationship: Unveiling the role of confounder and intervening variables’ delivered by Prof MA Hafez on 24 January 2012 at BIHS Auditorium, BIHS.
- Prof Liaquat Ali attended the ‘International Conference on Health Informatics (HEALTHINF 2012)’ in Algarve, Portugal, which was held on 01st- 04th February 2012.
- Prof Liaquat Ali attended the ‘12th International congress of Ethnopharmacology (ISE)’on February 17-19, 2012 at Kolkata, India.
- Dr Md Zahid Hassan, Associate Professor, Dept of Physiology & Molecular Biology attended a seminar on ‘Future Development of Traditional medicine’ delivered by Prof Geoffrey Alan Cordell, Professor Emeritus, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA on 23 Feb 2012 at BIHS Auditorium, Darus Salam, Mirpur.
- Prof Begum Rokeya, Dept of Pharmacology has been allocated a research project from BMRC (Bangladesh Medical & Research Council). She will conduct this study as the Principle Investigator on ‘Effect of Metformin and Atorvastin combination vs Metformin alone on inflammatory biomarkers and insulin resistance is patients with type diabetes’.
- Prof Liaquat Ali chaired a session on Public Health Education Program which was held on 29th May, 2012 in BIHS. The lecture entitled ‘Social Accountability of Health Profession Education’ was delivered by Prof M Muzaherul Huq, Chairman, Public Health Foundation of Bangladesh.
- Dr Md Zahid Hassan, Associate Professor, Dept of Physiology & Molecular Biology attended a seminar on ‘Suitable Edible Oil in Bangladesh’ organized by Nutrition and Food Engineering Department, Daffodil University, Dhaka on 19 May 2012.
- Prof Liaquat Ali delivered a lecture on ‘MBT Program in BIRDEM’ in the 2 days Sensitization Workshop on ‘Medical Biotechnology’ which was held on 6-7 June, 2012, MIS Auditorium, DGHS, Mohakhali, organized by the Center for Medical Biotechnology, Govt. of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
- Prof Liaquat Ali attended the Workshop on ‘Reforming MPH Training in the 21st Century’ on 27-30 June, BRAC-CDM, Savar, which was organized by James P Grant School of Public Health, BRAC University.
- Prof Begum Rokeya, Dr Md Zahid Hassan & Dr Omar Faruque participated 2 days Sensitization Workshop on ‘Medical Biotechnology’ on 6-7 June and 26-27 June, 2012, which was organized by the Center for Medical Biotechnology.
- Prof Begum Rokeya, Dept of Pharmacology delivered a lecture on ‘The effect of monotherapy with pioglitazone and combination therapy with atorvastatin on inflammatory biomarkers and insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes’ in the 4th Scientific Seminar & Annual General Meeting on 22nd June, 2012 which was organized by the Bangladesh Pharmacological Society.
- Dr Md Zahid Hassan, Associate Professor, Dept of Physiology & Molecular Biology delivered a lecture on ‘Role of in Promoting Medical Biotechnology’ in the 2 days Sensitization Workshop on ‘Medical Biotechnology’ which was held on 14 June, 2012.