Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- A. Services provided
A total number of 46137 HbA, tests were done for the patients of BIRDEM, Immunology and NHN.
25-OH-Vitamin D3/D2 analysis by HPLC as routine test is now available in the Department of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, Room No. 324, BIRDEM General Hospital.
B. Major Research Projects in the FY 2011-2012
- A study of chemical analysis and bacteriological quality of available beverages in Dhaka city.
- Association of insulin resistance with serum adiponectin in Bangladeshi T2DM diabetic subjects.
- Association of insulin secretory defect with serum adiponectin in Bangladeshi T2DM diabetic subjects.
- Role of Resistin in the pathogenesis of type 2diabetes mellitus.
- Association of TNF-α with Insulin Sensitivity, Hyperglycemia and Body Mass Index in Newly Diagnosed Bangladeshi Type 2 Diabetic Subjects
Students (in Collaboration) in the FY 2011-2012
Two MS Students in collaboration with Dhaka University.
Seven MPhil (Part I) students in BIRDEM Academy.
One MPhil. Students in collaboration with Dhaka University.
Five MPhil (Part II) students in BIRDEM Academy.
Three Ms Students in collaboration with Dhaka University.
Five MPhil (Thesis Part I) students in BIRDEM Academy.
Six BSc Students in collaboration with Dhaka University.
Name of programme
No of participant
1. The second ANRAP Workshop on ‘Chemical Studies and Bioassay of Antidiabetic Plant Materials’ was held from July 23-28, 2011, in the Research Division, BIRDEM, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
2. A workshop on ‘Chemical and Biological Studies on Bioactive Plant Materials’ was held from December 31, 2011-03 January 2012, in Bangladesh University of Health Sciences (BIHS), Mirpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh. ANRAP organized the Workshop with substantial support from AFASSA (Africa, Asia and South America) Coordinating Group in Natural Product Chemistry.
Professional Membership obtained:(with name of person and awarded membership) Award/Sponsorship/Grant/Fellowship in the FY2011-2012:
Dr Qumrun Nahar awarded International collaboration Grant from Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) for the project entitled “Desirable dietary pattern for Bangladesh”, in FY2011-2012.